Why jailbreak your phone? I hate so sound elitist however, if you don’t know, don’t do it. I have jailbroken phones for many reasons in the past, this is why I was motivated to do it with my iPhone 4S:
- MyWi – For the occasional Wi-Fi Tethering without a monthly subscription (mind you, it still uses the data plan)
- Mail Enhancer Pro – For greater eMail functionality and customized signatures per account.
- SBSettings – Quick toggle switches for commonly used features in the Notification Center
Please note that there are inherent risks and you could break EUA with Apple, your carrier or otherwise by doing this. I do not recommend this unless there is some serious need.
How to Jailbreak an iPhone:
- Backup your iPhone to iTunes (right click on the phone and choose backup)
(iTunes: right click (or control click) on your iPhone on the left panel, then select “Back Up”.)
- Uncheck “Open iTunes when iPhone is connected”
(iTunes: click on your iPhone on the left panel, then scroll down to Options.)
- Remove your Passcode Lock (if you have one)
(iPhone: Settings > General > Passcode Lock)
- Disable any SIM card lock (AT&T customers only and likely won’t be a concern)
- Upgrade your Firmware (iPhone to iOS 5.1.1)
(iTunes: click on your iPhone on the left panel, then scroll down to Versions and select “Check for Update”.)
- Download the newest version of Absinthe at GreenPois0nby Chronic Dev Team (note this is a great source for jailbreak info and news).DownloadAbsinthe 2.0.4 for Mac
Download Absinthe 2.0.4 for Windows
- Install Absinthe
- Shutdown iTunes
- Start Absinthe
- Click Jailbreak
The whole process takes 30+ minutes. Once complete, click on the Cydia icon on your iPhone. That will start the journey. Expect to reboot your phone. Open Cydia again, choose “User” and wait until the source packages are all loaded (up to 5 minutes). At some point there will be a little red notification that is under the Changes icon on the footer. Click that and update the application. After that, everything should work like any other app store.
After that point you can start loading applications.